The upshot was that there are multiple approaches under investigation that aim to amplify counterregulatory responses during hypoglycemia. Various recent studies, which point the way for future research and treatment, have found:
- Patients who were given troglitazone for 7 days had increased glucagon.
- Fructose significantly increases epinephrine and endogenous glucose production.
- After 7-days, caffeine-replete patients had significantly improved hypoglycemia awareness and response.
- Oral ingestions of amino acids for hypoglycemia can increase glucagon responses during hypoglycemia.
- SSRIs can progects against the deletrious effects of hypoglycemia. Non-depressed type 1 diabetics who took fluoxetine saw dramatic increases in norepinephrine and epinephrine , and their muscle and nerve activity also significantly increased.