Last week's blog post was about the type of physician that any patient would want. At the core of most of these wishes was a recurring theme. Good communication. Nearly all physicians want to communicate better with their patients and wish they could have more time with them. After all, the calling to serve and take care of patients is why the vast majority of doctors went to medical school in the first place. The reality however of frontline medicine is that we work in an imperfect health care system that too often loses focus of just what we are striving to do—heal and serve our patients. Neither are reimbursement models set up to necessarily reward spending enough time with patients. Given that, and as a follow-up to last week's article, here is a job advertisement that would be so overwhelmed with physician applications, the institution wouldn't know what to do! Without getting into the debate about physician employment versus private practice, let's assume 3 other conditions are met first for this job opportunity: desirable salary, location and work colleagues:
Dear Physician (of any specialty),
Unicorn Healthcare System is a multi-specialty system that has been rated among “America's Best Places to Work”. Among other things, as a physician you will:
• Work in a supportive and friendly environment.
• All administrators are MDs and RNs themselves, who still work occasional clinical days so that they never lose touch with the frontline (including our CEO).
• We put patients first, and make sure you have adequate time and clinical support to spend maximum time with them and be highly productive too.
• Our electronic medical record is designed with your workflow in mind, so that you spend less time clicking boxes and typing, and more time doing what you are trained to do. If you desire, we will also provide scribes in order to take this burden off you completely and make you more efficient.
• We have full administrative support staff to also take any additional computer and paperwork away from you.
• Our hospitals and clinics are spacious, comfortable, and quiet for our patients. This also applies to your workspaces too!
• Our 2 mottos are “The Patient Always Comes First” and “Let Doctors Be Doctors.”
Please email or call us if you are interested in this position.
Unicorn (okay, we have to maintain a sense of humor, but the above points are hard-hitting) Healthcare System can get any doctor they like on their team. Why? Because as their motto suggests, they let doctors be doctors, understand the rigors and reality of frontline medicine, and provide great patient care. As an added bonus, because they are so efficient and good at what they do, your salary will be top notch too. Applications welcome!
Suneel Dhand, MD, ACP Member, is a practicing physician in Massachusetts. He has published numerous articles in clinical medicine, covering a wide range of specialty areas including; pulmonology, cardiology, endocrinology, hematology, and infectious disease. He has also authored chapters in the prestigious "5-Minute Clinical Consult" medical textbook. His other clinical interests include quality improvement, hospital safety, hospital utilization, and the use of technology in health care. This post originally appeared at his blog.